Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Jordan to Syria - Damascus





Damascus Syria
Damascus Syria



Visited Syria while I was living in Aqaba, Jordan. It wasn't a long way from Amman, only 176km, and a chance to visit one of the most spectacular cities in the world, Damascus.

All aboard!

Jordan to Syria Jordan to Syria

Unless you like sand, there wasn't much to see on the way, just acres and acres of dazzling desert, Bedouin camps, camels, and burnt out cars stacked up in used-car lots.



The turnoff to Iraq. No thank you!



And then there was the border, a sticky mess since I didn't bother to check on getting a visa, I just thought I'd pick one up at the border. Duh! Check ahead, Doughhead! We wound up waiting for over an hour ('we' meaning the bus load of angry Syrians with children who waited for me). I finally got word from Damascus that I was cleared to go through and I shrugged and mugged and hung my head amongst all the glares when I got back on the bus. I had told the bus driver to clear off, that I would take care of my transport, but he insisted on staying and translating for me. He was a dear. Lesson learned. Doughhead!

Jordan Syria border Jordan Syria border

A run-on sentence.........

run-on sentence

The fabulous souq.

Damascus souq Damascus souq Damascas souq Damascus souq Damascus souq Damascus souq

Don't let an abaya stop you from being fashionable.

Damascus souq Damascus souq

A Syrian breakfast

Syrian breakfast

Streets of Damascus

streets of Damascus streets of Damascus

The awesome Mosque de Omayyad, aka The Grand Mosque of Damascus, with one of the biggest carpets in the world.

Mosque de Omayyad Damascus Grand Mosque of Damascus Grand Mosque of Damascus Grand Mosque of Damascus Grand Mosque of Damascus Grand Mosque of Damascus Grand Mosque of Damascus Grand Mosque of Damascus Grand Mosque of Damascus Grand Mosque of Damascus

The Azem Palace

Azem Palace Azem Palace, Damascus Azem Palace, Damascus Azem Palace Azem Palace, Damascus Azem Palace, Damascus Azem Palace, Damascus Azem Palace, Damascus Azem Palace

2 comments:

  1. Adventures can sometimes be so dangerous that, after we've come back, we wonder why we ever went....if not for the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't so dangerous when I went, of course. Such a shame all the conflict there.

    ReplyDelete