Pages

Friday, September 4, 2009

Travel By Bike Around Siquijor

Siquijor Philippines

These are pictures of the road going across the island with my trusty motorcycle. After Manila, it was wonderful to be on this beautiful island. This video
really shows the island in all its beauty.



Siquijor Island Philippines

__________________________________________________________________________


This family was sitting outside their house as I rode by so I stopped. A grandmother and her daughter and grand-kids. The youngest girl's name was Juniper.


_______________________________________________________________________

Going around the island by motorcyle, these were just some of the beautiful beaches where I stopped and swam.

Siquijor Island Philippines

Siquijor Island Philippines
_________________________________________________________________________

The bike was available for just eight dollars a day. The island is only 103km in circumference and you can either go around it, or across it. Crossing it I went through Bandilaan Park, which is a very special place, and visited Cambuhagay Falls. Everybody was so friendly, waving and shouting hello when they saw me. I stopped and talked with some teenagers in the park and when I asked to take their picture they all screamed and jammed themselves into the picture. Philippinos are just beautiful people, as you can see by their smiles.

Siquijor Island Philippines

As I continued on a group of people flagged me down at the outskirts of their tiny village and waved me towards guess what - a karaoke machine stashed under somebody's storage roof. Karaoke - it's like a chronic rash. They handed me the song list and I belted out Take Me Home Country Roads and So Happy Together, for which they loudly cheered, patted me on the back and handed me a glass of beer. I bought them all a round from the beer stand that was in one of the huts and they really clapped then.
I stayed for another brew and then moved on.


Siquijor Island Philippines

_________________________________________________________________________

Although this tree was 100 years old it was massive, as you can see by the
picture. I had to get these kids to come over and stand in front of it because
nobody was around when I pulled up.

Balete Tree Siquijor Island





“Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things – air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky – all things tending towards the eternal, or what we imagine of it.” – Cesare Pavese

6 comments:

  1. The locales seem really friendly and the place looks amazing. That is a great destination to unwind and relaxen your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was one of the best places I've ever been. Really off the beaten track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cesare Pavese , another good quote Nancy...you are well read...I like that....do you have a motorcycle riding licence...where did you learn to ride

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I don't have a motorcycle license. I rode a scooter for five years in Taiwan. I never did get a license; I couldn't pass the written test because it didn't make any sense. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nancy! I enjoyed reading your blog. I would love to do the same trip - Siquijor by scooter. Can you tell me, did you hire the scooter on the island or before you got the boat to the island? If on the island, where was the hire place? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just took the scooter that the hotel owner had. She rented that out for about $8/day. I don't know where you could rent a scooter but I'd ask around for sure. It's a fantastic trip and you can do it a few times.

    ReplyDelete