Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

Caucasia, Colombia

The bus from Cartegena to Caucasia. There were stops along the way for passport checks.

Caucasia Colombia
Caucasia Colombia

___________________________________________________

From Cartagena many people go north to Santa Marta for the beaches and diving, but I went south towards Caucasia and Medellin. I decided to stop in Caucasia because Medellin is quite far and the bus almost went off the road; the driver was in a skanky mood all day.

For anybody thinking about stopping in Caucasia - put a bag over your head and keep going. There's nothing there - nothing to buy, nothing to eat, nothing to see. It's just a hot, dirty little town. It's a stopover if you must stop over. The bed in my hotel was lumpier than the potatoes my mother used to make and so short I wished I had no legs; I batted mosquitoes all night and woke up looking like I had terminal acne. Can you see how my bed is wall to wall? I hope you don't have claustrophobia. Again, if you're thinking of stopping in at Caucasia: put a bag over your head and keep going.

Caucasia Colombia
Caucasia hotel room


________________________________________________

“To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” – Freya Stark (Sorry Freya, not in Caucasia!)

No comments:

Post a Comment