Pages

Friday, July 10, 2009

Kicker Rock

Kicker Rock Galapagos Islands
Kicker Rock (Sleeping Lion), is located off the coast of San Cristobal. The two vertical rocks rise 500 feet from the ocean and form a small channel that is navigable by small boats. This Galapagos Islands natural monument has become a favorite sight for cruises due to the many frigates and boobies that fill the surrounding air.

I went snorkeling in the gap between these two rocks. There were an amazing number of brilliantly-colored fish. There were also some hammerhead sharks circling about 100 feet below us, but before the guides roared off to smoke cigarettes and drink coffee we were reassured that we were safe. After this we went to a small bay filled with sea lions and snorkeled. One sea lion swam right up to my face and looked straight into my eyes and swam off again so unbelievably fast that I might have thought it never happened.

5 comments:

  1. I am off to the Galapagos Islands in a few weeks time. I am looking into taking a tour but would rather do it independantly. But I want to make sure I see hammerhead sharks. Where did you see them?

    Best regards,
    Annette

    ps. the website for my trip is www.alaska2argentina.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy,

    Does that mean you would recommend going on a tour as it is cheaper and you get to see more?

    Best regards,
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, actually. I took a tour from San Cristobal, the other islands were double the price actually because not many start from where I was. However, you have to check around I paid $300 American for a 3 night 4 day cruise. We went snorkeling in numerous places, stopped in at four or five islands, hotel paid for and food, horseback riding to Sierra Negra and a visit to Darwin's digs, etc. It was well worth it and the locals know everything. It's probably more now because that was three years ago, but check around. I'll dig up the name of the tour operator I went with if you want he could pick you up off another island.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancy,

    If you had the name of the tour operator I would really really appreciate it.

    Thanks again,
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annette: the name of the tour operator is Victor Vaca at Chalo Tours. You can email them at chalotours@yahoo.com Let me know if you get any good results!

    ReplyDelete