Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Off to Saigon!

Here we are taking off to Saigon. It was a blistering hot day and we stocked up on goodies at the train station for the long journey. The wonderful thing about Vietnam is that there is always food to buy at every turn, unlike some countries where you could be hard-pressed to find anything other than a ball of dough. Vietnamese food vendors are everywhere, and as an added bonus, the food is really inexpensive.

Nikki is one of my all-time favorite people in the world, the easiest person to be with, and always upbeat. Me? You'll have to ask her, but we got through it all with a lot of laughs. Traveling together, which means being together night and day, isn't easy, and it helps if both are willing to take the initiative and make plans, or perhaps go off and do something on their own once in a while.




____________________________________________


I had to include some pics of the floor after lunch because it was an interesting mess of food scraps, paper plates and spilled drinks. Finished with your lunch plate? Toss it over you shoulder to the floor. Finished your Mars bar? Just toss the wrapper on the floor chocolate side up. Done with the sticky rice? Scatter it to the four corners of the car and take a nap because the train's cleaners will come along soon enough to sweep it all away. I don't know why they didn't have any garbage bins on the train. It's against my nature to toss garbage because if I even threw an organic raisin on the ground when I was a kid, my mother would knock my block. "What do you think this is?" she'd say. I quickly got over my hang-up though and joined in the garbage throwing. I found it to be a very therapeutic activity and highly enjoyable. Now if you could only do that with some people - pick-up service included.




__________________________________________________

He who would travel happily must travel light. - Antoine St. Exuperey

No comments:

Post a Comment