Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Honeybadger Lodge - Moshi






The road to Moshi from Dar es Salaam was narrow and bumpy and when we weren't passing cars we were in the middle of the road to avoid all the potholes. We were inches from passing trucks and the bus rocked from the proximity.

Moshi, at the foot of Kilimanjaro, was an interesting town and I stayed at the Honeybadger Lodge. I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a comfortable place to stay. It's out of Moshi town at the end of a long, dirt road. The walkways are not well-lit at night and my room was wretched with no hot water and black gunk coming out the taps. I wasn't the only one disappointed, although it sounds like all I do is complain! I finally moved into town when their guard dog chose my window to howl under during the night. I met some WONDERFUL people in Moshi, especially Felician, the President of the Albino Association, and everyone I was in contact with, from the staff at the hotel I got in town to the travel agents, were helpful and friendly. Tanzanians are fabulous people.








__________________________________________________________________

The owner of the wonderful Coffee Shop restaurant. The food was fantastic, a must if you're in Moshi!



________________________________________________________________

My dear friend Felician. He had five children and lived on next to nothing. The government gives no aid to the disabled and there are no social programs nor resources available. Most people I talked to were not happy with the government and were disgusted with government corruption. A line I heard often was: 'If I worked in the government, I'd have lots of money.'




2 comments:

  1. Why is this woman wearing a Nike Shoe on her head!? Hillarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she was practicing walking with something on her head. 99% of the women in Africa are walking around with buckets on their heads! True And so agile too!

    ReplyDelete