Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Hitchhiking Israel - 1978

Dome of the Rock, Israel
Dome of the Rock, Israel 1978


After hitchhiking through France, Italy, and Greece with Mary Lynne and then Turkey with Rachel and Christine, I took a bus back to Greece because I couldn't fly to Israel from Turkey. Politics. Unfortunately, none of these pictures are mine because my camera fell apart in Greece and I never got another one. I don't know why, but picture-taking wasn't important to me. 


Promenade, Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv Promenade
After buying a return flight from Athens for $125, I flew into Tel Aviv along with a planeload of pilgrims, religious heinies from all over the world who were coming to see all the sacred sites in Israel and pray in The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, or leave a message at the Wailing Wall. I was in conversation with one young fellow from the States, traveling with a church group from Illinois; he expressed surprise I would come alone, suspicious of my singular brand of Christianity.  Didn't Jesus wander alone? I asked him.



There wasn't much security in those days at the airport - the carefree days -  a few questions, a passport check and a quick brush through customs where I met three other fellow travelers standing in line - Irish Mart, German Peter and American Paulo. We converged that night to stroll on the windy promenade alongside the Mediterranean and ponder our itinerary.


Via Dolorosa, Israel
Via Dolorosa Jersalem
I was off to Jerusalem by bus the next morning. While driving through the barren desert, the bus driver suddenly stopped and we had to clear out because of an abandoned package on the front dash of the bus. Bomb scare. It belonged to the Israeli soldier who had been standing next to me, his rifle butt a little too close to my shoulder. So we all climbed back on the bus and carried on. An American transplant sitting beside me said it was a common occurrence.
The Old City of Jerusalem is amazing - textiles, trinkets, jewelry, foods in all the shops and kiosks and so much to see within the old walls, including the Via Dolorosa, the supposed route Jesus took to his crucifixion. I wonder how they know that was the route, but, to quote Tennyson: Ours is not to wonder why, ours but to do and die. 

Church of the Holy Sepulchre
I was walking around inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, checking out Jesus's crib, when I was buttonholed by an Arab fellow, Ghazi, a gangly 15-year-old with wiry hair that stood straight out from his head. He wanted to show me around the works, show me what I would miss because I was a tourist, but I wasn't interested. He persisted until I gave in. His English was good and after a little tour, he took me back to the Armenian quarters of Old Jerusalem where he showed me around. I was staying at the Jerusalem hostel with a German woman, Teeny, directing the show. I asked her if it was safe to hitchhike in Israel because I wanted to go that route. She said, 'I've hitchhiked up and down this country three times and it's safe.'  I took that as my answer from God as to my favorite mode of travel. Hitchhiking.  

Shops in the Old City
The next night at sunset, I walked on top of the wall around the Old City with Ghazi, stopping to talk with a few of his Arab friends as it became dark. They were a little older, I couldn't see their faces. One of them suddenly came from behind and shoved me and I fell into the fellow in front of me, who then shoved me backwards into another fellow, who then shoved me forward into another until I finally got my balance, screaming at them to stop and 'Back off! I'm leaving!'  I took off down some stone steps, with Ghazi running behind me apologizing, but I told him to scram because I heard him laughing, too. 

Church of the Nativity, Palestine
Church of the Nativity
There wasn't much to see in Bethlehem except the Church of the Nativity where Jesus was born, the oldest 'site' in the world where Christian services are still held. Built in 325 A.D., this amazing building is located in Palestine.
Sea of Galilee, Israel
Sea of Galilee
After a few days checking out the Old City and seeing all the sites, I hitchhiked to Tiberius on the Sea of Galilee, or, as it's also known, Lake Kinneret.
I bunked in at an empty youth hostel right on the waterfront with a West German couple and another fellow who'd just escaped from East Germany; he only spoke Russian and German. Avi, an Israeli and dead ringer for Wolfman, on leave from the army, was a giant of a man with dark-rimmed glasses, a huge black beard and dark, unruly hair. He was jovial, talkative and looked after me with breakfast. I wasn't sure that he wasn't taking care of the place what with all the interest he took in everyone. The view from the hostel was amazing.

Golan Heights War, Israel
Golan Heights circa 1978
The next day the German couple said they were going to drive up to the Golan Heights and would I like to come. Of course, and the East German fellow was coming along as well. Driving through the war zone, with only us on the road, was like nothing I'd ever seen, a dead zone strewn with blown-up artillery, tanks, burnt-out jeeps and military equipment. We had to drive around craters, underground bomb shelters and massive rocks that blocked the road  until we reached the coiled barbed-wire fencing strung for miles through the neutral zone to Syria.

David's Falls, Israel
David's Falls
From Tiberius, I traveled to the Ein Gede reserve and went to David's Falls. Beautiful swimming and hiking and there I met Eli and a few other Israeli lads. I stayed at the hostel at the Dead Sea, which was interesting. A passel of Israeli soldiers were there and when I asked why they were seated on the edge of a cliff, they pointed across the water. 'Jordan,' they said. 'Terrorists come from across the water and attack the hostel!'


Dead Sea, Israel
Dead Sea
The next morning I swam in the Dead Sea and you can hardly swim you bob up and down so much for the salinity. There were hardly any visitors there in 1978, it wasn't the tourist jam it is now, with none of the attractions that surround the area now. But the lake is receding and the hotels built by the shore are now a distance from the shoreline. The Ein Gede reserve is spectacular with hiking trails and swimming holes. 



Masada Gondola, Israel
Masada gondola
 I was going to hitchhike down to Eilat but there were no cars on the road. A holiday! But Eitan, an American Israeli, picked me up on his way to work as a gondola operator at Masada, a fortification on the eastern edge of the Judean Desert. I went with him to work. It's well worth the visit with a breathtaking panorama of the valley and the Dead Sea.




Masada, Israel
Masada
 If you do anything in Israel, go to Masada. You're at the top of the world there. It's a well-preserved ancient site. I stayed there for an hour or two but it was just too hot! At the end of the day, I went back to Eitan's house in Arad with another couple of hitchhikers, where he regaled us with stories about life in Israel, and played romantic songs on his guitar. I should never have left, but then, who would want to live in Arad? 





Masada, Israel
Masada
After saying goodbye to Max and Cornelius, Eitan and I went to have breakfast. I fell in love with him for a minute, his sweet face waving goodbye and thoughts of the lovely guitar he had played the night before. Perhaps I'll go back and see him........but not now!  I was off to Eilat.
The rides were easy and no bad luck. Every driver was friendly, but I was in the middle of nowhere and no one knew where I was. Travel used to be like that, before the days of 24-hour social media. When you were away, you were truly a-w-a-y, disconnected from the world.


Eilat, 1978
Eilat, circa 1978
Eilat, in 1978, on the Gulf of Aqaba, was a small fishing town across from Aqaba, Jordan. Little did I know at the time that many years later I would live and work in Aqaba. It's a beautiful spot, but Eilat wasn't much and I stayed in a horrible little cement bunker with a German girl who insisted on turning the air conditioning down to minus twenty until I thought I'd turn into a popsicle. We argued over the damn thing, even though we couldn't understand each other, until I took my jeans and rammed them into an air conditioner big enough to cool down an American air craft carrier.

Coral World Underwater Observatory, Eilat
Coral World Underwater Observatory, Eilat

The Coral World Underwater Observatory was well worth the visit. Box fish, surgeon fish (yellow and purple), stone fish, lion fish (red and white with hordes of fins), lemon butterfly fish (like a lemon pie), pipe fish (red and white stripes). I've never seen so much beauty.








Negev desert
Negev Desert

Finally, my last stop - Nuweiba, a little Bedouin settlement 250 km south into the Negev Desert. I left early morning in order to arrive during the day because although it's only one and a half hours from Eilat, who knows how many cars would be on the road beside a dry, barren terrain and the occasional Bedouin with his camel. The highway snaked alongside the Red Sea and I sang songs as I waited for a ride. Gazing at the deep blue sea and the open road in front of me, I felt free, like I didn't have a care in the world. And I didn't. Everything would be good, I knew it. 

A white pick-up truck with three Palestinian boys in their twenties pulled on to the gravel. One hopped out of the back and held the door open for me to get in, but just as were pulling out there was a sharp rap on the front window and a man jerked open the door and scrambled into the truck. The boys looked at me and I shrugged. 'I don't know who he is.'  I never set eyes on him; he appeared out of nowhere and I mean nowhere because there was nothing out there but dry brush, sea and road. We communicated of sorts in butchered English but the stranger remained mute, staring out the window. I asked where he was from but he ignored me.  

The guys were turning up a gravel road and asked me if I'd like to have tea back at their village, but I said no, thanks, I needed to get going.  The stranger and I got out of the truck and I waved goodby. But in the time it took me to dig out my hat and put it on, drink some water, straighten out my bag and throw it over my shoulder, the old cur was gone. Into thin air.





















No comments:

Post a Comment